Home
News
Community Page
News Letter
History
Llangrannog links
Local Businesses
Accommodation1
Accommodation2
Accommodation3
B & B
Property
NEW BOOK
Information
Weather/Tides/Directions
Statue of St Caranog
Photo Gallery 1
Photo Gallery 2
Photo Gallery 3
PhotoGallery4
Old Photograph Gallery
Sea Views
Wales links
St Caranog
Crantock Cornwall
Carhampton Somerset
Carantec Brittany
Tregarantec Brittany
Cranogwen
Memorabilia 1
Sir Edward Elgar
Bus Timetables
About Us

 

Village 1900

 

 

The seaside village of Llangrannog was established around the church during the 6th Century, although there is evidence of an early Celtic settlement at nearby Lochtyn. The village developed rapidly with the increase in fishing and associated trade. 24 ships were built near the beach and until 1914 almost all of the male inhabitants were seafarers. Today, tourism is the main industry where visitors are attracted by the sandy beaches and the unique village atmosphere. With beautiful surroundings and adjacent places of interest, Llangrannog can certainly offer something for everyone.

St Caranog Church. Originally built of wood about 500AD by St Carantoc, who also visited Crantock, Cornwall, Carhampton, Somerset and Carantec in Brittany. The present church building dates from 1885, but houses many treasures dating from Norman times. The grave of Sarah Jane Rees (Cranogwen), a local Master Mariner, crowned bard and equal rights campaigner is situated in the churchyard.

St Mary's Well (Ffynon Fair). This ancient well is as old as Llangrannog itself, and was a popular destination for pilgrims who would take the water for health purposes. (Ownership of this site is in the process of moving into village ownership, when legal formalities are completed).

Y Gerwn, a striking Waterfall on the river Hawen is well worth seeing and the height of the water was used to drive a woollen mill situated a few yards away (which is derelict and on Private land). Examples of cloth manufactured here are on display at the museum at Drefach Velindre near Newcastle Emlyn.

Carreg Bica, the large rock between Llangrannog and Cilborth Beaches is well known and features in most photographs. According to legend Carreg Bica is the tooth of the giant Bica who lived in the Ceredigion area, and was forced to spit his tooth onto the beach following a bad toothache. In reality, the rock is a stack of Ordovician rock weathered by the sea, one of many along the coastline. A large piece of Carreg Bica fell away some years ago.

 Click on pictures to see Full Size  

Picture of Three Ships on Llangrannog Beach (The caption shown on this is 1930, however we believe that this date is incorrect as one of the older residents, distinctly remembers the last ship into Llangrannog in 1926)

"The History of Llangrannog, Guide and Tours", written by Mervyn Davies, was published by E.L Jones & Sons, Cardigan, the original price being 50p. This book is  no longer in print and was published in the early 1970's.(Llangrannog Welfare Committee have updated and reprinted this book and it is now available. For more details go to NEW BOOK

"Llangrannog, Exploring the Heritage of a Coastal Village", written by Dr. J. Geraint Jenkins was published by Llangrannog Community Council in 1998, is still in print, priced at 3.(There are only limited quantities of this book left for sale, which can be purchased at the village shop and public houses).

Pigeonsford Mansion. Part of this local influential house dates from the 17th Century. The Price family, previous owners were a great influence in the Methodist Revival of the 18th Century and many leaders of the National movement stayed here.

                    

The Lime Kiln pictured above is the only one remaining of the original five, that were in Llangrannog. Imported Limestone was burnt and the Lime was sold to local Farmers and spread on the poor acid soil. The Limekiln is located behind the Boat Club on the road up to Pen Rhip. A date stone has been revealed inside which is marked 1887.

The Photograph on the left, below is one of the oldest known and is taken from "The Story of Llangrannog", by Mervyn Davies.

Comparison with the "modern" Photograph on the right, above, shows that the main outline of the village has changed little over the years.

 Church Village 1920                    1913

 

 

This page was last updated on Thursday, 12 January 2017